◆英語タイトル：Augmented Reality & Mixed Reality Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)
◆レポート形式：英語 / PDF
※弊社H&Iグローバルリサーチ株式会社はMordor Intelligence社の日本における正規代理店です。同社発行の市場リサーチレポート及びリサーチサービスに関するお問い合わせは弊社までお願い致します。Mordor Intelligence社の概要及び新刊レポートはこちらでご確認いただけます。
The augmented reality market is expected to register a CAGR of 152.9% over the forecast period 2021 to 2026. This market was valued at USD 5.35 billion in 2020, and is expected to reach a value of USD 1,332.4 billion by 2026. The mixed reality market was valued at USD 376.1 million in 2020, and is expected to reach a value of USD 3,915.6 million by 2026 with an expected CAGR of 47.9% over the forecast period 2021 to 2026. The world is fully engrossed with the two technologies, Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). An incredible merger of these two has come into existence, which is an extended reality, known as mixed reality. It is a seamless intersection between Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality and combines the best of both virtual worlds.
- Augmented reality (AR) achieved product realization slowly, owing to the complex nature of the technology. Microsoft Hololens project started in 2010, took six years for development, and launched the developer’s edition in the first quarter of 2016. While AR is still over a decade away from achieving its full market potential, technological advancements in the space industry have accelerated the market studied, over the past two years.
- The increasing adoption and availability of cloud have been a major driver for the AR market, as it provides the platform and infrastructure to address the scalability limitation of on-premise AR experiences.
- The current market scenario has observed a greater focus on creating content and tools with more smartphone compatibility. This is expected to be driven by Photorealistic AR-enabled by the combination of software and hardware advances. Further, many social media applications, including Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, are including augmented reality experiences through various fun filters.
- The automobile industry is also moving towards the augmented reality business. Many automobile companies are using artificial intelligence technologies, along with augmented reality(through Head-up displays), to mark their presence in the market. Manufacturers, including BMW, Mercedes-Bez, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Volvo, among others, have included augmented reality features already.
- The largest barriers to the adoption of AR are technicality, software compatibility, smart glasses, size, weight, and power requirements. However, with the advancements in technology, these barriers are expected to be overcome over the forecast period.
- On the other hand, Mixed reality is gaining widespread recognition across business processes, and the momentum is expected to grow further. However, initial costs have been at higher price points, thus, making it hard for consumers, but they are still relatively inexpensive for enterprises.
- For businesses, MR devices can vastly increase people’s knowledge of the world around them by overlaying information in the context of the real world. It can also improve collaboration by enabling remote teams to see precisely the work in real-time so that they can provide better feedback. For the entertainment sector, successful mixed reality content requires an emotional connection between the viewer and what they experience.
- The mixed reality trend is being fueled by investments in hardware devices, platforms, and software ecosystems. A few investments are primarily focusing on replacing keyboards and flat displays with entirely new paradigms for collaboration and communication.
- Covid-19 has impacted positively on AR/VR hardware demand, and enterprises across the world are trying to find ways to get their internal and wider geographically spread teams to communicate, collaborate, and find a path forward during the crisis. Even after the lockdown ends, the behavioural change it has caused is likely to last for a considerably longer period of time. People are expected to remain socially distant, but with the usage of technologies and extended reality they will be virtually close. These platforms and technologies may primarily allow multiple businesses to run and grow irrespective of the challenges posed by social distancing.
Key Market Trends
The Gaming Industry Expected to Hold the Majority Share
- Due to the various advancements in the gaming industry, the significant technologies which are earning a lot of market attention are Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Extended Reality, i.e., Mixed Reality (MR). For an avid gamer, nothing could be more exciting than the prospect of being transported inside the game, battling demons, aliens, and spies, exploring amazing environments beyond imagination.
- One of the most popular applications of Augmented reality was demonstrated in the game Pokemon Go in 2016, where players targeted to search for virtual creatures on their smartphones. Another one is Playstation VR, which is a console for playing Virtual Reality based games.
- The two technologies, AR and VR collectively, have already created scenarios that once seemed impossible, by years of innovations. For instance, products like the Oculus Go will allow users to download games, apps, and other experiences right from their phone and sync the games to the headset, eliminating the need to connect it to a VR-ready computer, which was required by Oculus Rift.
- However, with the introduction of mixed reality, the major factors driving the mixed reality in the gaming market is the unceasing growth of the gaming industry. Mixed reality in gaming provides an immersive virtual environment and enables gamers to experience virtual reality on their gadgets. For example, the launch of Microsoft Hololens motion controllers and developer kits is serving to aid market players to stimulate the development of mixed reality in gaming.
- Furthermore, the increasing adoption of mixed reality in gaming technology in amusement parks and military training is likely to stimulate the application of mixed reality in the gaming industry. For instance, the large theme parks in developed countries such as the U.S. are making hefty investments to integrate mixed reality in gaming technology to provide an immersive gaming experience. Brand name theme parks are also investing to design and develop mixed reality in gaming technology-based theme parks.
North America to Dominate the Market
- The North American segment of the AR & MR market studied is expected to grow significantly over the forecast period, owing to the presence of a large number of vendors that are also making considerable investments in market innovation and strategic partnerships.
- Globally, the United States is expected to be one of the highly innovative AR markets. Most of the companies advancing in this technology are based in the United States. High technology exposure and ease of availability of smart devices have created a strong AR market in the region.
- The region has the highest adoption rate of smart devices, especially smartwatches and smart glasses. As smart devices, especially smartphones, play a significant role in the development of the AR market, the region offers a vast opportunity for the growth of the market studied, over the forecast period.
- Additionally, According to Statistics Canada, 17.5% and 16% of the population in Canada and the United States were 65 or above in 2018. Rockwell Automation has mentioned that over 25% of their workforce are of age 55 or above, and their jobs are not pursued by the younger generation, creating a skill gap. This gap can be filled by using a mixed reality headset to train in a digital environment safely.
- Further, the region is one of the highest spenders on its military and defense. The US, which spends around USD 14 billion a year in digital training of the army, with a prime focus of military innovation, collaborated with Microsoft for its MR headsets HoloLens, to enable the army to detect enemies while on the battlefield. In November 2018, Microsoft was awarded USD 480 million for the supply of 2,500 HoloLens headsets within the next two years.
- Moreover, the investors in this region are actively looking to invest in diverse AR/VR/MR technology startups working on mixed reality in the region. For instance, the GFR Fund has invested in 17 North American startup companies based on VR/AR/MR technology. Such investments are expected to continue and are estimated to drive market growth in the forecast period.
The augmented reality and mixed reality market are moderately fragmented due to the presence of many players in the market, contributing significantly towards the growth of the market. The vendors are working incessantly towards strategic partnerships and innovations to gain maximum market traction and increase their market size.
- February 2020: AjnaLens (Dimension NXG Pvt. Ltd) announced the launch of reliable mixed wearable called AjnaBolt, an AI-powered military-grade glasses. The glasses leverage the expanding possibilities of data and graphic processes and the rise in the number of uses of AR in the defense sector in emerging countries such as India. Defense systems equipped AI, and MR improves human-to-machine interaction and human decision-making capabilities.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Key Market Influencers
4.4.1 Increasing Applications of Augmented Reality
4.4.2 High Demand for Mobile-based Augmented Reality
4.5 Market Inhibitors
4.5.1 Technical and Regulatory Issues
5 AUGMENTED REALITY(AR) MARKET ?LANDSCAPE
5.1 By Type
5.2 By end-user verticals
5.2.4 Retail and Advertising
5.2.6 Military & Defense
5.2.7 Other End User Industries
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World (Latin America, Middle East and Africa)
6 MIXED REALITY(MR) MARKET LANDSCAPE
6.1 By end-user verticals
6.1.2 Medical and Healthcare
6.1.4 Other End User Industries (Education, Military, and Defense)
6.2.1 North America
6.2.3 Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Rest of the World (Latin America, Middle East and Africa)
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Google LLC (ALPHABET INC.)
7.1.2 Seiko Epson Corporation
7.1.3 Vuzix Corporation
7.1.4 Realwear Inc.
7.1.7 Microsoft Corporation
7.1.8 HP Development Company, L.P.
7.1.9 Dell Technologies Inc.
7.1.10 AsusTek Computer Inc.
7.1.11 Samsung Electronics Company Limited
7.1.12 Acer Inc.
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 FUTURE OUTLOOK AND OPPORTUNITIES OF THE MARKET